Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Too Busy

HI all,

just putting in a little post to say that all is well, and that life has just found a way of being too hectic, and I just haven't been able to find the time to do my therapeutic blogging. Work has just taken over my life at present, and the time that I do have I spend with Sarah. I once listened to a talk given by Dr James Dobson entitled "Learning where to cheat". Essentially the premise was that we all cheat. It sounds pretty outrageous, but his point was that we should cheat on work before we cheat on our families - i.e. putting time and effort into promotions, or pay rises is a futile effort. Your boss may appreciate the hard work you put in, but pay rise is not going to get you back the time you missed with your wife/husband, son/daughter, etc. Now I'm not enticed by promotions or pay rises, but what I struggle to deal with is leaving my bosses in the lurch - and at the moment I think it would be touch and go as to whether the pharmacy could continue without me. It's not that I'm blowing my own trumpet, it's just that I don't think any of the potential replacements for me have got they staying power to make it work and train my replacement. Reputation is an important thing for me - not that I care too much what people think of me, but more that they know what I stand for. I've been working much more than I should be - and I need to move on. I can't still be doing what I do with the hours I currently do when our baby arrives. That's the bottom line. I've got to remember the lessons I learnt from Dr Dobson - and remember that it is best to cheat on work, than to cheat on my family...

Abe

1 comment:

Glen and Andrea said...

Oh Aaaabbbeee - where aaarree you??? (echo, echo, echo).

Just teasing, we miss your regular posting but know you are very busy.

I'm back to the regulasr blogging again. There is Christmas message there for you too. Go on over and check it out.